Jedi Syndicate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas to Improve JK2 Scene

5 posters

Go down

Ideas to Improve JK2 Scene Empty Ideas to Improve JK2 Scene

Post  Fobe Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi,

As we all know, there are improvements that need to be made in the JK2 scene to keep it running and possibly refill the population. Id like to use this thread as a means to share ideas and to brainstorm with all of you on possible options in doing so.

1. Downloading/Installing:
I believe one of the biggest reasons we have seen a gradual decline in the JK2 population throughout its years is because of a limited population. Ever since JK2 had been patched to 1.03, we were limited to incoming players. The other reason is the limited CD access. I recently came back 2 weeks ago and the BIGGEST issue crippling the population is the inability to download this game. I had to search for an hour to find a torrent to download this game. I had to search another 30 minutes to find a No CD-Crack. When I finally launched the game I repeatedly received an error, and I had to spend 2 hours trying to find a file to fix it. This error was caused by my AMD card in a sense being "too new" for the game. Overall, it took id say 4 hours to finally play. I was determined to try and play again, but I'm sure the other 90% that have tried to get back into the game just said "Fuck it" by the 2nd hour. If we could host the JK2 game here, and an old school player can type "JK2 Download", "Jedi Knight 2 Download" into google and can be directed to this site, it would be huge.( or new player)

2. Central Hub:
You all have probably played other games aside from this one, and you all have noticed one big trend with massive games....they have THE SITE to go to. Starcraft 2 has Teamliquid.net, WoW has Arenajunkies.com, there are subbreddits for every MOBA game, Quake, etc. Even back in the day there was to an extent Macepace.com. We need this site to be that hub that allows for communication about EVERYTHING in JK2. The biggest reason teamliquid, arenajunkies, and other sites got to where they are was because of CONTENT. I think your easiest way to direct people to this site is through advertising it on every "Message of the Day" on the major servers, 95% of community doesn't even know this site exists.

3. Videos/Mods/Skins:
This is an easy extension off what I said earlier with content. Lets say a new player finds out about this game(get into that later), he downloads the game through this site, starts playing and hears people talking about..lets say vO Spawn. Possibly the greatest ever, and this guy wants to know a little bit more about him. He goes to this site's video section and can easily download Spawn's Movie(Content), now the kid will come back to the site and feel more welcome to contribute and be part of the community. Skins should be common knowledge, one of the biggest reasons League of legends is where its at is because of that shit. Another idea would be to include a subcategory on all of the customizeable commands you can put into jk2, such as com_maxfps, r_fastsky 1, etc... and talk about the negatives and positives about all of them(also how to color your name)

4. Streaming:
This idea should be acted upon after the first 3 topics have been addressed. 2 hours ago, I was on Twitch.tv and i stumbled upon a tournament of Quake Live. I really never knew much about the game and from what Ive known it is a fairly "dead" game(And i doubt many people do). So I was watching the stream, and the host was talking about their expected viewership for this tournament based off prior knowledge. They expected around 1500 viewers concurrently....it hit 10,000. The 2 biggest reasons for this were 1. it was shown on the front page of Twitch.tv , and 2. It is one of the most fun/ most skilled games to watch/play. The graphics sucked balls, its an old ass game, but it was the most watched stream on twitch.tv for a couple of hours. In the past, if the jk2 scene could have streamed a clan match such as vO vs CR or now CoS vs someone, it could mirror today's Quake stream. The overall point of this...ATTRACT NEW PLAYERS/ BRING ATTENTION TO GAME.

5. Statistics:
Lastly for now..NT 6. I dont have much knowledge about the meat and potatoes of how a game works, but NT 6 has shown me that little additions can be made to the JK2 interface, etc. that could really improve the gaming experience. Heres an idea, what if the scoreboard included how many flag captures someone had, how many flag returns, K:D ratio, average length of life while capping, Average Speed, ETC. Ways to optimize the game. This could really reignite interest in the already community. Example: "Hey whos the fastest hopper in the game?"...." Dude, XXXX has an average speed of 30!" ......it would motivate others, and draw competition...something lacking in the nowaday USA Scene.

Ive already spoken with some of the JS members bout their ideas to bring back the community through training people etc, but I think these are some really strong ideas that are at the core of what need to be done to fix jk2. Use this thread to critique my ideas/build upon and pitch some of your ideas too.

Fobe

Back to top Go down

Ideas to Improve JK2 Scene Empty Re: Ideas to Improve JK2 Scene

Post  gfs .'GaBBy,` Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:23 am

LoL

gfs .'GaBBy,`

http://gfsc.prophpbb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  JS-Wolf Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:41 pm

but what is your point?
JS-Wolf
JS-Wolf
Jedi Syndicate Member
Jedi Syndicate Member

https://facebook.com/djxxwolfxx

Back to top Go down

Post  Haven Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:42 pm

I believe those are very good ideas indeed. As far as distributing the game goes, however, that might cause some legal issues (although I doubt Lucasarts would investigate such things after 10 years... especially since they willingly gave the source code to someone already). For the videos, it would be very possible to host them; in fact I know how to get some of them and I could create an FTP that would allow easier access to any given file we want to host/share.

For the streaming, it could also be possible but we are going to need something solid before we show it to the 'outside' world, and that means we have to train as teams and hone our skills to be a decent match for euros or for other american clans. As far as modding goes, Gabby is pretty good at that but I blow at modding (mostly because i've never actually tried it xD).

Thanks for sharing your ideas though, they will be well noted. (and hopefully put to good use)

Haven
Admin

https://jedisyndicate.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fobe Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:26 pm

JS-Wolf wrote:but what is your point?

The point is if you keep going down the same road you'll keep getting the same result. If changes arent made to modify the game and bring the community together, the game will eventually wither to nothing.

As far as the legal side of hosting the game on the site..I agree, i don't think lucasarts would notice it at all. Rarely anyone knows about the game at the moment and only former players would really be downloading the game. Through hosting the game, you could also grab the former players of the 1.03, 1.04, etc versions who don't have access to their CD.

For the Videos/Skins/etc, you could contact Snape and convert these movies http://www.fouclan.com/downloads/movies/ over to this site(And other skins/etc). Also, http://jediknight3.filefront.com/ for skins/maps/etc.

With the whole training thing: Yes I agree it should be done, but I think you have to look at the bigger picture. You are literally working with a limit of 200 players, no one can really access this game(atleast 1.02) unless they bought the CD 12 years ago...If you open the gates and allow former great players to come back or new players to just start, you allow yourself a much greater audience to train and be trained. Increase community size, so goes the game.

Ya, the streaming was for more in the future, but it could also be used in the near future during select times with regard towards clan matches. A server is only limited to 14-16 people, lets say a big time euro clan match is happening...more than 4 might want to see the greatest players play, and not just see a screenshot of the result.

Fobe

Back to top Go down

Post  voodoo* Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:40 pm

Thank you fove you are very right about your points, and yes we already had thought all of them, but as I've told you is a step by step progress we can't rush or the horse will die, all in due time. But we will be working on this trust im really into this, aint wasting time.

voodoo*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Haven Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:42 pm

I already knew about the fouclan directory, and that's actually where I planned to take the files, but we should ask them beforehand

Haven
Admin

https://jedisyndicate.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum